When you have chronic low-grade inflammation, your body is in a constant state of high alert, affecting many areas of your body. Left unchecked, it can silently promote multiple diseases, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and arthritis.
What can you do to help thwart this silent stalker?
Find out in Harvard’s Fighting Inflammation Online Course. It’s the authoritative, go-to source to help you understand the dangers of chronic inflammation and discover the practical advice to help you proactively protect your health.
This comprehensive course is so easy to use!
It’s overflowing with lively photo features, interactive pages, videos, charts, quizzes, and more. Together, they reveal the best practices that may help save you from health problems before they can even start! And you can use it any time on any device — your smart phone, tablet, or computer!
Inflammation and Your Immune System Explained
- Inflammation: friend or foe — or both?
- What happens when the immune system misfires and turns against the body itself
- Factors that contribute to and help prevent inflammation
- Signs and symptoms of chronic (bad) inflammation
- What happens when the immune system goes into “defense mode” when no true threat exists
When Good Inflammation Goes Bad
- Causes of low-grade chronic inflammation
- Who is at greater risk for a dangerous inflammatory reaction?
- How fat cells send the immune system into a state of alert
- Foods known to promote inflammation and which foods suppress it
- When inflammation can spiral out of control during a stress response
Inflammation and Allergic Responses
- The dangerous connection between allergies and inflammation.
- The surprising causes of eczema and why it may increase the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Inflammation-easing medications used to treat asthma, allergies, and eczema
Inflammation and Autoimmune Responses
- How inflammation can contribute to lupus, multiple sclerosis, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other conditions
- Medications that help tame autoimmune-induced inflammation and halt the disease process
- How prebiotics and probiotics might ease symptoms of autoimmune disease
Inflammation’s Effect on the Body and Mind
- The breakthrough anti-inflammatory drug shown to help reduce risk of heart disease.
- The hybrid inflammation-fighting brain diet to help preserve cognitive function
- How constant, “metabolically triggered inflammation,” plays a role in both type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- How inflammation increases cancer risk (as many as 20% of cancers begin as a direct result of inflammation)
The alarming fact is that three out of every five people around the world die from a disease that has been linked to inflammation:
- Heart and blood vessels: Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), heart disease
- Digestive system: Inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Joints: Some forms of arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis
- Lungs: Allergies, asthma, COPD, lung cancer
- Brain and spinal cord: Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease
- Eyes: Macular degeneration, retinal degeneration, uveitis
- Skin: Acne, eczema, psoriasis, skin cancer
- Kidneys: Chronic kidney disease, kidney failure, nephritis
- Pancreas: Type 1 diabetes
- Thyroid: Thyroiditis
- Liver: Chronic hepatitis
Bible verses for today’s meditation and inspiration: Matthew E. McLaren
2 Corinthians 13:9 For we rejoice when we ourselves are weak but you are strong; this we also pray for, that you be made complete.
Colossians 1:28 We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, so that we may present every man complete in Christ.
Colossians 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of your number, a bondslave of Jesus Christ, sends you his greetings, always laboring earnestly for you in his prayers, that you may stand perfect and fully assured in all the will of God.
2 Corinthians 10:15-16 not boasting beyond our measure, that is, in other men’s labors, but with the hope that as your faith grows, we will be, within our sphere, enlarged even more by you, so as to preach the gospel even to the regions beyond you, and not to boast in what has been accomplished in the sphere of another.
2 Thessalonians 1:3 We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brethren, as is only fitting, because your faith is greatly enlarged, and the love of each one of you toward one another grows ever greater;
2 Peter 3:18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
Ephesians 1:17-18 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
Ephesians 3:16-19 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, read more
Recommended contacts for prayer requests and Bible study